Metronidazole has a narrow spectrum of antimicrobial activity:
- – Anaerobic gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms (Bacteroides, Clostridium, Streptococcus)
- – Some aerobic gram-negative bacteria (Helicobacter, gardnerella);
- – Some protozoa (amoeba, trichomonads).
However, the availability of different dosage forms allows wide use for the treatment of infectious diseases.
For the treatment of systemic infections caused by mixed aerobic-anaerobic bacterial flora Klion and can be combined with other antibacterial agents, in particular penicillins, cephalosporins and aminoglycosides.
The pharmacokinetics of metronidazole:
- During infusion, achieved high level of metronidazole pill in all body tissues. The half-life of 8 hours metronidazole, which ensures retention of bactericidal concentration levels for at least 8 hours.
- Metronidazole 500 mg is displayed after metabolism in the liver as inactive metabolites in the bile and urine.
- Topical application of vaginal tablets Metronidazole pills has a minimal bioavailability having no clinical significance.
Metronidazole has a vaginal form of pills. Metronidazole 500 has antifungal activity against fungi genus Candida, and metronidazole – bactericidal activity against gram-positive cocci, Bacteroides and trichomonas. This combination increases the effectiveness of antibiotic metronidazole due to the additive effects of miconazole and prevention of Candida super infection. Local treatment of vaginitis has advantages in the form of faster cure patients, improving the safety and tolerability of treatment.
- systemic infections caused by other bacteroides and anaerobic flora (peritonitis, perforation and intestinal perforation, abscess of abdominal cavity and small pelvis, liver abscess, biliary sepsis, inflammatory diseases of the genitals, mouth);
- amebiasis of the liver;
- preoperative prophylaxis.
- bacterial vaginosis;
- candida vaginitis;
- trichomonazice vaginitis.
- GI: metallic taste in the mouth, nausea, vomiting, anorexia.
CNS: drowsiness, dizziness, peripheral neuropathy (rare), convulsions (rarely).
- Blood: leukopenia and neutropenia (rare).
- Candida superinfection.
- GI: rare.
- Careful application with indirect anticoagulants (potentiation of their actions).
Do not use disulfiram (psychotic additive effect).
- Interact with alcohol (disulfiramopodobnyh syndrome).
- I trimester of pregnancy.